Sunday 1 November 2015

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

A couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed a lovely afternoon with some of my family and the DVD of choice was The Wizard Of Oz.

I prefer the film when it changes to colour which is as Dorothy lands in Oz and finds herself in a place she did not want to be. She was very keen to get home and the advice she was given was to 'follow the yellow brick road'. Dorothy did as she was advised and followed the yellow brick road and eventually it led home. Along the way she made some strange yet wonderful friends but she also faced one or two difficulties. Dorothy kept focused on finding her way home and even though the witch kept on after Dorothy, she did not give up and eventually, with the help of her new friends, she defeated the wicked witch.

Dorothy persevered and although it is just a story, it encourages me. Sometimes all I need to do is just take another step and follow the path ahead. I am not able to see what is coming but I know that each step will be a step closer to where I am meant to be.

There is a song I like to listen to by Steven Curtis Chapman and it is called 'Take Another Step'. It says that I should 'walk by faith and not by sight'. Dorothy had no idea what lay ahead on this unusual yellow brick road yet she took another step and another step...I can do that too. I can simply take another step. There are likely to be bumps in the road but there are sure to be surprises round the corner too! Dorothy was not expecting that following the yellow brick road would bring the friendship, encouragement and joy of meeting the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the cowardly Lion.

As I take another step who knows what might meet me round the corner? Goodness? Blessings? If I am looking for them, believing in them, if I am lifting my gaze then I am certain that I will find them.

So tomorrow as the sun and the new day come I will choose to trust God and take another step...









No comments:

Post a Comment