Saturday 20 February 2016

Answer Without Arguing


I can argue. I have been known to disagree, dispute, quarrel, squabble and even battle. As I think back, I can remember these arguments much clearer than the peaceful, quieter conversations I have had with the same people. 

There is a reason why I can call to mind the cross words and that reason is guilt. I have said things I should not have said. Words that hurt and words that can never be taken back. 

It takes at least me and one other to argue, however it is only me that can take the blame for the answer I give in an argument. I am the only one responsible for the words that I say. It is my choice to answer with or without arguing.

I feel much more at peace with myself if I am not regretting argued words. I am learning that answering with fewer words is best for me. Even though I can say sorry for the words that I should not have said they are still there, hanging in the air, causing hurt.

So to answer without arguing is to answer gently, peacefully and maybe to not even answer at all.

When the new day brings the opportunity to answer I no longer want to respond without thinking. I no longer want to attack with my words. I hope to have the courage to answer without arguing. I hope in my answer I can find a way to love. 

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: 
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."
James Chapter 1 verse 19 (New International Version)



No comments:

Post a Comment